OK, I’ll admit it … in our region [Geelong and District] we’re biased when it comes to “our” newspaper. Almost three years ago we started a campaign to get the Geelong Advertiser [aka The Addy] digitised and available online on NLA Newspapers / TROVE. But the Addy is more than just our Geelong region. Follow our progress from that first blog:
- Geelong Advertiser … where it is? [9 Jan 2012]
- Geelong Advertiser … update! [10 Jan 2012]
- Geelong Advertiser … 24th June 2012 update! [24 Jun 2012]
- Geelong Advertiser … it’s here! [3 Jul 2012]
- Geelong Advertiser … update – what’s on TROVE! [3 Nov 2012]
- Geelong Advertiser … THANK YOU! [7 Nov 2012]
- THE biggest news for Geelong and district [4 May 2013]
- Geelong Advertiser: WWI years [11 Aug 2013]
- Time Capsules and the Geelong Advertiser [30 Nov 2013
- Update on Geelong Advertiser on TROVE [1 Dec 2013]
- Yeah! We’ve got more Addies! [27 May 2014]
- Lots of Geelong Addies! [20 June 2014]
- Geelong Advertiser – even more! [26 Dec 2014]
So that’s our current status but we can’t let it rest there!
We need to look at ways of extending the digitisation past 1924 and that means fund-raising. We have discussed this with the Geelong Advertiser to see if they could host a trust account for digitising the Addy to which people could contribute online – we haven’t totally given up on that but there has been little interest shown by the corporate owners.
A few of our local societies have expressed a desire to contribute lump sums – perhaps these could then be added to “individual contributions” through Crowd Funding like Pozible.
Take our Poll or contact me direct via my Contact Form.
[…] Spread the word and the link to this important blog. […]