VAFHO has a web site and blog that will continue to give you updates on the Expo – the details, the speakers, the exhibitors, and anything you need to know about the Expo.
Since I presented the 2016 Don Grant Memorial Lecture for VAFHO (Victorian Association of Family History Organisations at the Family History Feast at the State Library of Victoria I’ve received a heap of emails. Many saying how much they enjoyed my presentation and others asking when the presentation would be put online on the SLV web site.
- I would like to thank everyone for their very kind emails and comments.
- I would like to say how much of an honour it was to be invited to present the annual Don Grant Memorial Lecture
- It was also a great honour to have Don’s widow, Lorraine, his daughter Ally, and his grand-daughter in the front row for my presentation.
My presentation titled ‘Grannie Ferris: midwife, nurse, doctor and undertaker‘ is now online on the State Library of Victoria web site. Above is a photo of the formidable looking Grannie Ferris.
Some of my presentation related to the registers of Nurses and Midwives appearing in the Victoria Government Gazettes – this was the subject of an earlier blog I published on these registers.
During my presentation I also mentioned the two web sites from which you can download these detailed registers:
- Victoria Government Gazette 1836-1997 – State Library of Victoria
- Victorian Government Gazette 1843-1999 – Austlii – Australasian Legal Information Institute
A special bonus for family history organisations who are members of VAFHO:
Send a USB to VAFHO with a stamped self-address envelope requesting a copy of the files mentioned in the presentation and the earlier blog site. These files have been updated through Acrobat so that you can search ONCE in the folder containing all of these 70+ files – the search will search each individual file.
Enjoy! And thank you to VAFHO and SLV for inviting me to present the 2016 Don Grant Memorial Lecture.
This is shaping up to be a great expo and SO CONVENIENT to get to. I’ve already checked out V-Line timetables and I have a couple of options for getting to Seymour in the morning from my nearest station at South Geelong.
All the details are in the Expo Flyer but a quick summary:
- WHEN: Saturday 17th October, 2025 – 10.00 a.m. till 4.00 p.m.
- WHERE: Seymour Club, 1 Elizabeth Street, Seymour – 5 minutes walk from the Railway Station and the main street
- HOW MUCH: $15.00 per person – exhibitor or General Public
- DISPLAYS & TRADING TABLES: Heaps – see the flyer
- GUEST SPEAKERS: Neil Smith (Military History); VicGUM; Ben Mercer (Ancestry)
- SPONSORS: Archival Access; Ancestry; Findmypast – don’t miss out on some great prizes
BONUS: If your other half isn’t into Family History – the TASTES OF THE GOULBURN is happening that weekend. Wine-tasting and food stalls in the main street – yep, just 5 minutes walk from the VAFHO Expo and only 1 minute from the Railway Station! You could literally pick them up on your way home back to the Railway Station.
ENQUIRIES: email Jan Parker
TIP: Use your Seniors travel option!